Technological advancements have found innovative applications in every industry. The Healthcare sector has benefited by using technology to make its processes smooth and more efficient. They may be healthcare software development that aids in running a medical facility smoothly or a device that provides better medical service.
When it comes to hospital management software, there are a lot of options available. Are you looking for business-centric medical software like a patient health record management system, medical billing software, or hospital management software? There is also the option of patient-centric software like telemedicine software, appointment scheduler, e-prescription software, etc.
Whether you are looking for a patient- or business-centric healthcare software, there are two ways to go about it. You can either choose custom healthcare app development or software development that suits your needs or buy ready-made software available in the market. It is a tough decision as it is a huge business investment. So we break down everything in this article to help you choose the right one for your business strategy.
What are the different types of healthcare software?
Before you dive into the world of custom-made and ready-made healthcare software, let us look at the different kinds of healthcare software that are used by a medical facility like a hospital:
An Online Pharmacy/ePharmacy is an online platform for medical store owners, through which they can sell medicines online to their customers.
Hospital Management Software
This versatile software has many components like appointment management, patient management, supply management, facility management, insurance management, support management, etc.
A medicine delivery software allows patients to order prescribed medicines online that will be delivered via the nearest pharmacy store.
EHR or Electronic Health Record serves as a patient’s medical history database. With comprehensive data available, medical services become more efficient.
Telemedicine, a part of Telehealth, delivers healthcare using electronic information & technology and supports healthcare when distance separates the patients.
Medical Imaging Software
This software allows doctors to view, store, train, and share medical data and provide efficient treatment.
Doctor appointment booking software is specially developed to help patients to book, manage and schedule appointments with doctors or video consultations.
Medical Billing Software
This software is ideal for hospitals to prevent mistakes, enhance the patient experience, and provide an efficient interface to manage all the expenses within a facility.
This is an AI-powered lab diagnosis software that can automate and interconnect medical diagnostic processes. It ensures that there is a low chance of error in the diagnostic results.
What are Custom Healthcare Software and Readymade Healthcare Software?
Custom Healthcare Software
Every health care facility is different. Each has a different approach to doing business and hence has unique requirements. Naturally, such a facility would want custom healthcare app development or software development to suit its needs. It is a personalized healthcare product designed according to the business’s needs. It is designed to easily adapt to existing business processes and launch new digital workflows with ease. It is not meant to be sold or distributed to other parties.
The different tools and features of such custom healthcare software are privately owned by the same company. With custom healthcare software development, features suited to the business are readily available. The healthcare business can easily target certain aspects, maximize efficiency, and exact the required output. It is a transparent application with no hidden functionality or costs, with an interface designed specifically for the client’s ease.
Ready-Made Healthcare Software
Readymade healthcare software is generic. It is built by large healthcare software development companies that cater to entire industries and different businesses.
Readymade healthcare software is suitable for a whole range of businesses. Hence it has a larger host of functionalities to serve the needs of different types of users. It is designed for commercial sale. It has easy configurations that allow it to be integrated into existing systems without hassles.
It has a lot of features, some of which may be useful and some of which might not be. It can also have hidden costs and features irrelevant to the business buying such software. Its features cater to the general need of a particular type of business rather than the specific needs of a business. Hence it cannot fully adapt to the needs of the business.
Benefits of Custom Made Healthcare Software
Let us look closely at the advantages of custom healthcare software development and readymade healthcare software.
Custom healthcare software advantages
- Customization: Custom-made software has highly adapted features to your business processes.
- Compatibility: Software designed to suit your needs is highly compatible with your business processes and workflows.
- Autonomy: You can automate tasks, integrate processes and expand features in any way that works for you.
- An advantage over competitors: With a higher level of personalization, you get a competitive advantage over other businesses.
- Scalability: Your business is ever-changing and growing. Custom healthcare software that scales up with your growth is a great investment.
- Economical and Effective: Custom-made healthcare software is much more economical than ready-made healthcare software. This is because businesses can use all the features without renewing their license yearly or buying new features as the business grows.
- Better Security: It has a better security system than software openly available for sale. It ensures all your data, including patient and administrative data, are safe from prying eyes.
- Compliance: Compliance is a sensitive issue that has to be handled with care. Custom-made software ensures that it is built and compliant with the rules and regulations under whose jurisdiction your business falls.
Benefits of Ready-made Healthcare Software
- Readily available: There is no need to spend time developing software as it is readily available off the shelf.
- Lower initial investment: Buying ready-made software solutions is cheaper than developing a custom-made one. It has free trial periods that let you decide whether the software suits your needs. It has flexible price ranges determined by the number of software users than the software itself.
- Multi-Functional: A ready-made solution is meant for use by many people than a custom-made solution. This means you get a feature-rich product that can be used according to your specific needs.
- User Friendly: It is designed to be highly user-friendly and meant for intuitive use. Since it cannot be explained to each new user, it is meant to be self-explanatory.
- High Community Support: Since it is used by many people, dedicated communities provide invaluable support in the form of information and hacks to make it easier to use.
- Maintenance and Support: Ready-made software gets automated updates throughout its usage. You can also avail of comprehensive support for your application without having to deploy your teams for it.
EMed HealthTech: Your Answer for all Healthcare Software Solutions
There are plenty of healthcare software service providers that design software for the needs of your business. However, finding a design company that tailors software to your needs can be a tough challenge. Whether ready or custom-made healthcare software, you need to hire software developers who can diligently understand your needs and apply them to the software.
Also, check out this blog What is the Importance Of Healthcare IT Solutions in Patient Care?
EMed HealthTech has been a leading player in the healthcare software development industry for almost a decade. We specialize as healthcare IT consultants providing expert service with our software solutions. Whether you are planning to hire healthcare app developers for custom or ready-made healthcare software, EMed HealthTech has done it all. With a long list of loyal clients, we focus on empowering our clients with healthcare software solutions that maximize business outcomes and improve user experience. Reach out to us today to get a free estimate.
Key Regulatory Compliance Standards That Healthcare Software Developers Should Know About
Key Regulatory Compliance Standards That Healthcare Software Developers KnowRead more
Medical Care Can Be Valuable: Why Healthcare Needs Telemedicine Technology?
Medical Care Can Be Valuable: Why Healthcare Needs Telemedicine?Read more